Friday, January 19, 2007

Holocaust

Last weekend I visited the Museum of Tolerance in Las Angeles. Their main exhibit is a Holocaust tour that progress each tour group through a series of exhibits that teach the history and tell the story of what the holocaust was. The whole tour is very well done, and had a deep impact on me. About half way through I almost started weeping, and it has been years since I really broke down crying.

When I was much younger my family took a trip through Europe and visited one of the concentration camps. It is one of my most vivid memories from that trip, even though at the time I don't think I fully understood what the implications were. One thing that the Museum of Tolerance tour kept stressing was the fact that the supporters of Nazi Germany were regular people, average citizens. And yet they participated in some of the wost evil the world has ever seen. The Nazi hate was so strong that they sacrificed many military resources to attempt the elimination of the Jews, even when losing the war they kept up the "Final Solution".

It reminds me of just how dark the heart of man is, and that without hope, all is lost.

3 comments:

Jim said...

"And God saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually"
(pre-flood, pre-Christ and pre-hope...yay for hope!)

Tifani said...

I did a forensics piece in HS about the holocaust. I think playing a role in it opened my eyes a lot.

Luke said...

Jer. 17:9 The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?

Praises to God who sees our darkness and loves us through it -enough to send His Spirit to bring light!