Tuesday, August 19, 2008

So Very Clever

Recently I decided that I needed a better way to deal with passwords and accounts on computers and various websites. Yesterday I took the plunge and started using PasswordMaker to generate secure passwords in a systematic way. It is pretty cool because the passwords are never stored by me, and are different for each site. It took me a while to really wrap my head around the idea and implementation, but I think I have it now. The documentation could be better, and sometimes the interface is confusing, but I like having secure passwords. The biggest problem so far are sites that demand useless properties for the password, like one I have which needs two letters and two numbers, and has a length restriction.

The (not so) clever thing I did was email myself the settings file I made and then went to another computer to import the settings. I didn't think about it until I tried to log onto my email which now had a hashed secure password. Fortunatly I was able to regenrate the password, which made me a like this system better.

No comments: