Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Big Mac Daddy

Well I have now ordered my first Apple computer. I will be receiving a MacBook on Thursday from Amazon. I wanted a new laptop since my old one is on its last legs, and I can't really take it anywhere (it also weighs 8.3 lbs). So I might from time to time post on how the new Mac is working out.

I also have to say that the apple commercials shouldn't be converting anyone to apples. I just don't think that they are a very good argument about why Apple is better then Microsoft. They also reinforce the mistaken notion that PC = Windows. PC stands for personal computer, which technically apple computers are too. In fact Apple made the term popular with the Apple II back in the 1970's. The term has been modified to mean IBM PC compatible, as in running on the Intel x86 architecture, which now that the Macs are on Intel they are also IBM PC compatible. I guess they just can't have the Bill Gates guy say "And I am a Windows Box."

We will see how much my opinion of Macs change, but I have this impression from using them and watching others use them that Macs are real easy if you are doing what Apple wants you to do, but just as complex and nitpicking if you want to do anything off the beaten path.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, some of the commercials are entertaining, but I don't think they are that constructive other than associating the Apple brand with more than just iPods. Also, the early commercials were funnier than the newer ones, which tend to just take potshots at Windows. Have fun with your Mac! I'm pretty satisfied with the switch I made, though there have been certain drawbacks.