Tuesday, December 19, 2006

You Have The Poor With You Always

On an investment forum I read a thread a started about poverty in the world. One person posted a link to this story. It is very lengthy, and I have not finished all of it, but it was an interesting look at volunteer aid work in Tanzania. One of the problems that does not have an easy solution is that when lots of clothes are given to a poor country, then their textiles industry cannot compete, and close up shop. The same problem with giving food, then the local farmers cannot compete with the almost free food, and cannot sell their goods.

This paragraph was also interesting:
"My suggestion to people who want to help Africa is to save $1 a day and 7 years later go to Africa and spend two weeks there. It is a worth vacation and much better for the world in my opinion. Perhaps save the $1 into a economic development fund to be used by African businesses to grow."

On most of my mission trips to poorer countries, I have been doing things for children or the deaf. I do not have much first hand experience with his story of trying to help the general population improve their living standards. To achieve this end, sustainable development must be set up. How that is to be done? I wish I knew.

2 comments:

Jim said...

Interesting...I've thought a lot about this myself...what do you think about starting businesses that take advantage of the global market to benefit small local economies?

Matthew said...

Jim, I think that such an action could be helpful. I also really like these microloans that help locals start their own business. As long as they are handled right this seems to be just what some of these places need. This economic activity and production are what will help these people out in the long run.