Sunday, December 10, 2006

Jokesy Rhymey

For a long time Southwest Airlines has been a lot more uptight then their old happy-go-lucky days in the past. I vaguely remember joking stewardesses and pilots in way back past times, but for a long time they had discarded this persona. They became the cheap and efficient, but not too different airline. Lately however this has been changing, and I couldn't really put my finger on it until my flight on Saturday morning.

As we were coming in to land the pilot came on the intercom and talked a little then broke out into song. He completed three verses of "There's No Business Like Show Business" with the lyrics changed to be about Southwest. It was an impressive feat while we were about 500 feet above the ground coming in to land. This is not the Southwest of the last few years, but a kick back to the old Southwest. I wonder if there is a command from on high in the company to rekindle this persona. Perhaps as the TSA becomes more neurotic and unfriendly Southwest is trying to distinguish themselves form the other airlines again so as to imprint the customers with good memories of their trips with Southwest. I guess we will see how this works for them.

1 comment:

Kathy Schrenk said...

I'm not sure how I feel about someone singing while they're trying to land a 737.