Friday, October 27, 2006

The Bookstore

Amazon.com is great and all, but I just can't get the same experience there that I get in a real bookstore. Today I wandered around at a Barnes and Noble and browsed the books. I really enjoy just wandering around the bookstore and seeing what is on the shelves. Picking up a book and browsing through it is great. I also like to own books, Libraries are great, but something about having a book on your bookshelf is better. I tend to have books on my shelf that I want to get around to reading. They languish there with a bookmark at page fifty or so, and then one week I will pick them up and finish them. I guess I just have to be in the right mood the read a book on a paticular topic. The books on my bookshelf range from Sci-Fi, to Historical looks at human culture, to Comic books, to Computer Science books, to Language Instruction, to Horror, to Mangna, to Classic Liturature.

One of my hobbies is to collect bookmarks made out of unusual materials. My favorite bookmark is a leather one from the gift shop at the Sumpreme Court building. But hardbacks and softcover books have different bookmark needs. I wouldn't use my big Supreme Court bookmark on a softcover, it just wouldn't work as well. I have a pagemarker from Israel that is great for smaller books.

I purchased two books that I plan on reading. I escaped my usual Science Fiction choice (partly because I am listenting to some Science Fiction books from my audible.com account). I hope to work my way through The Tenth Man by Graham Greene and And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie. I just realized that I choose two books that deal with a group of ten people, hmm.

1 comment:

Kathy Schrenk said...

As long as you're in Redwood City, you won't have to by any sci fi books; just raid Nathan's bookshelf :-)