Monday, November 27, 2006

Shopping Cart Returns

I have noticed at several stores here in California a disturbing lack of shopping cart return slots in the parking lots of the stores. The other day this came to my attention at the Fry's Electronics (Wild West themed). Just tonight I was at Safeway and had the same problem, and even Costco seems to have fewer then needed. They have a few cart return places, but they are small and not well placed. Back in the Midwest I didn't have these problems. It is a real pain to cross back over the traffic lanes in front of the store with an empty cart, and I am loathe to do this. I also am annoyed by carts just left in parking spaces, or pushed up into the planters. So I end up crossing a row of spaces and pushing the cart most of the way back to the store to the tiny return. I just don't understand why they are so lacking on the service, where elsewhere in the country this is not a problem. And according to Wikipedia (but sadly not referenced): "20,000 children are injured each year in shopping carts." I imagine this comes from cart jousting, or maybe just bad wheels causing the cart to overturn.

Tonight I cooked up some spaghetti with sauteed mushrooms, hamburger, and some olive and caper sauce. That should serve me for a few meals this week, mmmmmm.

No comments: