Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Family Game Night

After Arthur has gone to bed Nathan, Kathy, and I will play a board game one to two nights a week. It is quiet enough to not wake up Arthur and is very engaging. The table seems very well balanced, with each of us winning about the same percentage of games.

Some of our long time favorites are St. Petersburg and Carcassonne. We have just started playing some Puerto Rico, and just finished tonight with a win for Kathy. I thought I had it sewn up, but she was just ahead. Last week we invited over two other players and tried out Modern Art, which is really fun and I might buy it, but unfortunately needs 4 to 5 players. Nathan just purchased Funkenschlag (or for us Americans "Power Grid"). Some of my other all time favorite games are Bang!, The Settlers of Catan, and Illuminati.

I think the family game night is great fun that can be had on the cheap. It can take anywhere from 20 minutes to 2 hours+ and increases discussion and interaction.

No comments: