Thursday, September 21, 2006

Disappointing

I am troubled by this news. If these are the students of today, then the country will have many problems in the future. Now I guess I understand why every college class I attended spent some of the first lecture and part of the syllabus on the cheating policy, and the possible dire consequences. Perhaps I was just unaware of some of what was going on, but I didn't encounter lots of this cheating.

I think the closest I came to this sort of behavior would have been in the computer labs programming. I would sometimes work side by side with other students in my classes, and we would help each other out when stuck on a problem. We would sometimes look at each others approaches to problems, which under a certain reading of the syllabus might be considered cheating. I think that the people I worked with followed the spirit of the law and refrained from cheating. We were trying to learn the material, not just get the work done. I am a little surprised that those cheating on their work like this are passing their exams. I guess it is a good thing that exams make up such a large part of the grade for most classes, because it is more difficult to cheat in such a venue.

No comments: