Sunday, March 18, 2007

St. Patrick's Day

Yesterday I invited the Redwood City Schrenks over for a Corned Beef and Cabbage dinner. I mostly used this recipe, but halved it for 6 servings instead of the massive 12 it is intended for. I should have leftovers for a few days. It really made my apartment smell good having the pot cook for a little over 3 hours.

When I lived at home Mom would cook a similar dish every year around St. Patrick's Day, and so I think I will keep up the tradition. Although it would be just fine with me if the dish didn't contain the cabbage, but it just wouldn't be the same now without it.

Arthur was both excited and afraid of my giant exercise ball, he also figured out how to turn on my fan, which would be followed by running away from it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We are a corned beef and cabbage family, Matthew. I cooked for 12 people last night, but missed you, as you always liked it so much.
I cooked mine in water, just adding the little enclosed packet of seasonings in the corned beef round. (Much less fat than brisket.) Your recipe looks wonderful, but a lot more work than my simple method! Everyone seemed happy with it.
Mom